Monday, January 16, 2012

You Can Deep Fry ANYTHING

After an amazing month long winter break I've made the 12 hour drive from hell back from Florida to VT.  Of course I was greeted by snow and freezing weather, so I've traded in my shorts for my eskimo suit.  It's good to be back though.  I'm ready for this last semester with all my friends.  Now that I'm back from break you can also expect my roommates and I to get rolling on the bucket list!

I don't know if any of you have been to Blacksburg, but it is an awesome college town!  It's a small little town, but it's absolutely beautiful and it's a ton of fun.  No offense to all my Floridians, but the people here are some of the nicest people I've ever met.  If you can, come and visit, and I promise you won't be let down! 

My roommates and I moved in to a new apartment complex together this past year.  We instantly became good friends with our neighbors, which are two apartments of guys.  We all basically have an open door policy, and wonder in and out of each others' apartments as we please.  One of our neighbors, Trey, who is the model in the pictures to come, won the award for the best Christmas gift.  A deep frier! 

Now I usually enjoy eating healthy, but I am willing to make an exception for deep fried goodies.  After experiencing how heavenly it all was I would suggest that everyone invest in a deep frier and throw everything into in sight.  Last night we broke it in! I'm pretty sure this is going to be the reason I am going to gain 20 lbs this semester. 

Deep Frying Batter
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt

Anything you want to deep fry.  We did Reese's, cookie dough, and Oreos.

Combine the wet ingredients.  Combine the dry ingredients.  Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix.  Then refrigerate the batter.  Also, freeze whatever sweets you want to deep fry.

Set your deep frying oil to 350 degrees.  Then, all you need to do is toss your frozen goodies into the batter and place into the deep frier until golden brown on both sides.  




Then we let them sit and topped them with powdered sugar.  It was absolutely AMAZING!  We're going to experiment with fried mac n' cheese balls today.  Any other ideas of what we should deep fry?



I do have a couple of questions for my deep frying pros.

1. When we tried to do the Reese's the chocolate immediately melted and came out of the batter.  How can we prevent that from happening?
2. How do you keep a funnel cake from coming apart?  We just tried to spoon it in, but it just fell right apart.  Didn't stop us from eating the little fried bits though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment