Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tilapia Fish Tacos

Before I get to writing I just wanted to say that if this post makes me look like I'm on drugs, it's because I am.  I went up to meet my boyfriend's , Manny, family and friends for the first time on New Year's Eve, and had a great night.  We were going to keep the fun going by tailgating and going to the Jacksonville Jaguars football game on Jan 1st with some of his friends.  It was a beautiful day, great game (because they were winning), and I felt great.  Then about half way through the game I got a shooting pain through my stomach and became very nauseous.  I went to the bathroom for about a quarter and started vomitting...everyone probably thought I was drunkie, but I didn't have anything to drink that day.  Manny and I had to leave the game early, which I felt terrible about.  I went to his house and took a nap then when the pain didn't get better we went to the hospital.  Turns out I had a cyst burst on my ovary and had a fair amount of internal bleeding.  Blood had gotten into my stomach, and when that happens your shoulder starts hurting.  Who knew? Whatta random side effect!  I ended up having to spend the night in the hospital and my boyfriend stayed with me.  I was in the hospital most of the next day and made my boyfriend miss the Gator Bowl the next day that we had tickets too.  Starting the year off with a BANG! I know what you're thinking, I sure know how to make a great first impression right? That's me though, always have to keep things exciting!


Anyways! I made my first blog worthy recipe the other day.  I decided to start off easy with some fish tacos.  Even though they were easy, they were delicious!  I live with three guys and they were thrilled from having a night off from pizza and beer.  Who am I kidding they still downed a few beers. 



Tilapia Fish Tacos

1 1/2 lbs tilapia
3/4 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp cumin
1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lime
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
flour tortillas

To start, mix the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, juice from the lime, and 1 tbsp of olive oil.  Lay the tilapia flat on a tray and brush both sides of the fillets with the mixture.  I poured the rest evenly on top afterwards.  Then, sprinkle sat and pepper on top of the fillets.  Let the tilapia sit for about 20 minutes. 

While the tilapia is marinating, dice some tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and anything else that you may want to add to the tacos.  I'm also slightly obsessed with avocados, so I decided to make some guacamole.

After the tilapia is done marinating, turn the heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about 1 tbsp of olive oil to the skillet.  Add half of the tilapia to the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes per side of until cooked all the way through.  Then transfer to a plate and do the other half of the tilapia.


Once all the tilapia is cooked, break it up into little chunks. 


Last step, if you want, is to heat up the tortillas.  You can do it in the microwave, but I like doing it over the stove top to give it a little crisp-ness.  Heat a nonstick skillet to medium heat and heat tortilla for about 30 seconds per side.

Best Guac Ever
4 avocados
1 tomato
1 medium onion
2 limes
1 bundle of cilantro
salt and pepper

Cut the avocado long ways, so that it's in two.  To get the seed out, stab it and it should come out easy.  Use the knife to cut the avocado and then use a spoon to scoop the avocados into the bowl.  Then finely dice the tomato and onion and add to the guac.  Get the juice from two limes and add that as well.  Cut one bundle of cilantro and add that to the mixture and season with salt and pepper to your liking.  Now, I like my guac chunky so once you have everything added take two knifes and cut through the mixture.  This will mix everything, but still give you a DELICIOUS chunky guacamole. 

All you need to do is lay everything out and there you go! Have fun with this recipe...if anyone decides to make it...

No comments:

Post a Comment